Monday, March 9, 2009

Oh What a Week

Its been a while since I last posted - we have had quite an adventure this past week. Last Saturday night I was very sick all night (throwing up) and I was having pains that felt like I was in labor. Seeing that I was NOT pregnant, I knew that this could not be a good thing. Sunday the pain continued and Andrew took me to Urgent Care. From there, they found that my white blood cell count was double what it should be and sent me straight to the ER. Andrew dropped me off and came home to find someone to take care of Owen. Our sweet neighbor Amy came over and watched him so Andrew could come back to the hospital with me. I ended up having to have surgery at midnight to get my appendix removed. Luckily it was done laproscopically so there are only three tiny little cuts on my belly. I was in the hospital until Tuesday and have been recovering ever since. Thankfully we caught it in time before it ruptured. I am still not back to normal but I am getting there! I was out of work all week last week and will be working from home part time this week. My work has been so nice about all of this and I am so thankful for that! My boss even sent me a beautiful arrangement of flowers!! Isn't that nice? I appreciate all the calls and emails from everyone - sorry if I haven't gotten back to you - I have really been trying to take it easy so can get better QUICKLY! You know me, I can't stand to sit around!



Owen also got his first haircut. One too many people called him a girl so I figured it was time for a trim. Here is before, during, and after pictures of the haircut - he looks like a little man now :( He was such a good boy for the haircut - he sat in the chair by himself almost the whole time!


























Andrew's brother Benjie also got married this weekend (yes it has been a busy week). The wedding was great and Owen was spoiled by all of his great Aunties and Nana Dunlap. It was fun to see everyone - I am glad I was able to go.


Other news this week - Owen is starting to say a few words. He has said "byebye" a few times when he waves - he can now wave when you say "wave to Mommy Owen" - its really cute. He also loves to play with his ball and he can say it but it sounds more like BAAAAAW. Its more like a growl than an actual word but he definitely knows what it is and is trying to say "ball". I have also stopped breastfeeding. It was a terrible decision to make but I have been on all sorts of medication (antibiotics, anti-inflamatory, and pain meds) from my surgery. Each of which you are not supposed to take while breastfeeding. At first I was going to try and pump through it but Owen was so confused as to why I was not feeding him and has been really upset about it. Andrew and I decided it would just be more confusing for him to start up again and then 6 weeks later stop again so we made the decision to stop. I hate it because I said I was goign to go to a year and I am so close but I guess 10 months isn't too bad. I have several weeks of breast milk saved up in the freezer and he can start slowly on cows milk at 11 months so it will really only be about a month of formula but I am still upset about it. Life goes on and I should be proud of the fact that I made it this far!! I gave Owen a bottle of formula tonight and he had no clue it was anything different and gobbled it down like it was what he has been drinking for the last 10 months. Hopefully this week will be less eventful than the last!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I had the same breastmilk/medication problem when I had a kidney stone removed last summer and (with very mixed emotions) dried up at 6 months...you did GREAT to make it to 10 months!!! Owen's hair looks so cute...

The Vogt Family said...

Oh my!!! Glad to hear you're recovering, I'm so glad you caught it before it errupted. Don't be down on yourself about the breastfeeding, 10 months is AMAZING mommy! Especially when you're working full time, way to go!! Feel better soon.

Nathan, Laurie, Elizabeth & Emily said...

Glad you are feeling better! You should be proud of all the months you did breastfeed! Great job! I'm counting the days... :)