Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Dear Friend....

Our family lost a dear friend yesterday. Maureen Patterson was my grandmother (Goggi's) neighbor for many years. Her and her husband Ronald never had children but treated my mom and her brothers and sister like thier own. I even think she used to help Goggi and Papa get all of the kids to church on Sunday. It must be hard trying to wrestle 4 kids in the car and what a relief it must have been to have such nice neighbors to help out! She then treated Robert and I like we were her grandkids - we loved going over there as kids to visit the Patterson's. Her husband died when we were young (maybe middle school) so she has been alone a long time. Thankfully she would share her holiday's with us and come to our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. She would always tell Robert and I that she had put out the decorations we made her as children (even this year). I am so glad she was able to meet my son this year. She knitted him a hat which we will always keep and remember her. About 10 years ago, she moved out to Friends Home and seemed to enjoy living there. Goggi sure missed having her as a neighbor - she said that Mrs. Patterson was a wonderful cook and Goggi loved having dinner with them. Mrs. Patterson lived to be 93 years old. She had a stroke a few weeks ago and just never recovered. We know she is in a better place with Mr. Patterson now. I will hang my crismonds on the tree every year that she made for me and remember our dear friend with a smile. Mrs. Patterson, you will be missed.

No comments: