"Carson Bain was not a career politician. He was a career public servant that seemed to take on one challenge, address what needed fixing, and then move on to the next. He waged a long difficult battle with the illness that finally took his life, Alzheimers disease. And now, once again, its time for him to move on...."
I can't take credit for writing that - its an excerpt from a Greensboro News and Record Editorial but I think it was a great way to describe my Papa Bain.
We spent the last weekend in Greensboro with my family. Papa Bain's funeral was monday and my Dad got up and spoke. I have never been more proud of him. He honored his dad in a way that no one else could have and I know Papa Bain was smiling down on him and so happy that he was able to do it. Papa Bain was a great man and he did so much for Greensboro. He inspires me to want to do more for the community where I live. He was a great public servant role model for us all. I hope I can raise my boys to be just like him in this way. When someone in your family dies, it really makes you think about life and what is important and what isn't. One of the best things I heard this weekend was something that Papa Bain said all the time. He would say (in regards to being mad with someone) "While you are loosing sleep, he is out fishing" Its a great way to look at life and so very true. I am so thankful for the family that I am a part of. I am thankful that my parents taught me the value of family and I want to be able to pass this onto my kids. Everyone leaves a legacy - Papa Bain's was his commitment to the community and his ability to make a mark everywhere he went. We all have to decide what we want our legacy's to be before its time for us to move on.
No comments:
Post a Comment